Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Dee Says: Woo! My First Bat Mitzvah



I have to say I'm a Crest girl
So I went to my first Bat Mitzvah (is it capitalized?) on Saturday. Now I haven't been to one yet and I was very excited, but at the same time pretty nervous. First I thought, well this is awkward, I'm not Jewish... am I allowed to come anyway? But it was one of my best friends ( she's not 13, shes much older but just now decided to do it). So I knew I just had to go. I thought it'd be weird because a lot of the ceremony was in Hebrew which as you can imagine I don't speak. My primary concern (vain as it my be) was what I was going to wear. I knew it was dressy but how dressy? Could I wear some boots and skinny jeans or did I have to wear a dress? Am I allowed to wear pants? How conservative are these things anyway? It was quite the dilemma. In the end I settled on some fab cognac ankle boots, ivory tights and a hunter green jumper (I'm determined to popularize the term "jumper" in America). My outfit turned out to be right on (thank goodness). Still I didn't know what to expect. To my great enjoyment the ceremony was very beautiful. I was worried that me not being Jewish would make all the religious talk uncomfortable but as it turns out I had a really great time. There were dozens of Jew jokes, half of which I didn't get but I just laughed accordingly, and it was very relaxed. The kiddish (lunch) was just amazing. We had kosher (of course) food and an amazing apricot cake. My favorite bit was when my friends wacky Grandpa cornered me and chatted my ear off about his time in WWII. It was a total sitcom moment. Not to be outdone her other Grandpa (who is not Jewish, just confused) decided to talk to me for ten minutes about the differences between Crest and Colgate toothpaste, hey, there's one in every family.  After the ceremony everyone went home for a while only to return in the evening for a party. The party was just like any other accept we hoisted her up on a chair. I thought for sure she was a goner but she managed to make it through her ride in one piece. We danced to good music for a few hours and then ate more yummy Jewish food.
Over all it was a fiesta. I'm super glad I went.
Moral: if you get invited to a Bat Mitzvah GO! 

No comments:

Post a Comment